20 February, 2012

Vivienne Westwood’s controversial comment

London Fashion Week. Image taken from Reuters.

"People have never looked so ugly as they do today. We just consume far too much, I'm talking about all this disposable crap. What I'm saying is buy less - choose well. Don't just suck up stuff so everybody looks like clones”.

I spoke to the people of Chesterfield to see if they agree with Westwood’s comments:

  • Amanda, 44, said: “I buy whatever fashion that appeals to me, I buy from the high street so I’m bound to bump into somebody wearing the same top at me”.
  • Tom, 24 said: “I’m a guy, so I’m not that bothered. I think her comments a bit rude. I don’t have the time to ‘choose well’”.
  • Sophie, 26 said: “I do take time and spend my money well when I go shopping; I look for unusual items in vintage shops so I know that nobody else will be wearing the same as me”.
  • Laura, 18 said: “I do agree with her comment, everyone does look the same nowadays. You only have to walk down a street and you’ll see two people dressed practically identical. It’s because fashion changes so quickly that we have to buy fast and spend less to keep up, making it hard for us to search and save up for expensive and fashionable clothes”.
  • Sarah, 31 said: “Her comments aren’t going to give her a positive response, as she’s calling everyone ugly. Were in a recession, we have to buy the ‘disposable crap’ because nobody can afford to buy anything else”.

Credits
Image from: http://www.reuters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment