11 March, 2012

Can leather satisfy your appetite?


Disposable fashion and mass manufactured projects are now a common trend for women to follow in order to keep up to date with fashion. This may include you buying shoes and jackets at a cheaper price in order to keep costs down and to remain a fashionista. 

People are now buying quantity rather than quality clothing due to the economic downturn and the fast and ever changing revolution of the fashion industry. Would you prefer to buy non-leather shoes, handbags and jackets in order to remain fashionable and to keep up to date with fashion trends? Or would you prefer to spend your hard earned money on quality authentic leather products that will last you for years to come?

It is true what they say, you do get what you pay for. £20 non-leather pair of shoes from New Look will not only last you only a few months depending on how frequently you wear them, but they will also cause you a lot of pain. Whereas a quality pair of leather shoes (yes, they may be slightly above your price range) from Kurt Keiger, or if you’re really pushing the boat out, Yves Saint Laurent or Christian Louboutin will last you years, be comfortable and remain durable. 

It all depends on your shopping habits and if you prefer quick and easy fashion or quality designed products.
A factor that may influence you before you buy leather products is if you are a vegan. According to Imaner, there were around 162,000 vegans in the UK in 2007. 

I spoke to Amanda Thorpe, 45 from Sheffield. She is a vegetarian and vegan, I found out how it has affected her shopping habits it the past. 



How long have you been a vegetarian and vegan for?
I have been a vegetarian since I was 4 years old, and I have been a vegan since I was 15.

Why did you adapt to become a vegetarian and vegan?
Because my brother teased me when I was little about the killings of animals, so I refuse to eat meat. Although at that age I wasn’t aware that animal products were in a lot of other foods.

The killer question: Do you buy leather shoes, handbags and clothing? And why?
Yes I do, it sounds very hypocritical but it is just the thought of consuming animal products that I don’t like, for instance I only wear vegan make-up. I think that leather products have a longer life and look better quality than similar products made of man-made substances.

Doesn’t it put you off?
Yes it does when I think about it and then I feel guilty. But what girl doesn’t like a classy handbag? I prefer the higher end of the market; I would rather have a smaller selection of timeless pieces than cheaper ones.

Do you think ethically when buying accessories and clothing?
I try to; I notice the organic and fair trade products. I would choose those over unmarked items. I also choose ethically sourced items to improve the labour conditions abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment